California Attorney General Xavier Becerra made an announcement Wednesday saying that the state will sue the Trump administration over one of President Trump’s biggest campaign promises – the border wall.
Becerra’s lawsuit targets planned projects in San Diego and Imperial counties, escalating the fight between the state of California and the Commander-In-Chief.
The state essentially has emerged as the heart of the Trump “resistance,” creating lawsuits against his immigration policies and even passing a resolution Friday in the Assembly censuring Trump for his comments on the violence stemming from white nationalist protests in Charlottesville, Va.
Becerra’s latest lawsuit charged that the Trump administration “violated the U.S. Constitution, failed to comply with federal and state environmental laws, and relied on a federal statute that does not authorize the proposed projects.”
“The Trump administration has once again ignored laws it doesn’t like in order to resuscitate a campaign talking point to build a wall on our southern border,” Becerra said in a statement Wednesday. “President Trump has yet to pivot from candidate Trump to leader of a nation built on the rule of law. That’s dangerous.”
The lawsuit comes as Trump works with Congress in an effort to retrieve and secure funding for a border wall — though the specifics of the project itself remain unclear.
The President issued an executive order in January calling for securing the “southern border of the United States through the immediate construction of a physical wall on the southern border, monitored and supported by adequate personnel so as to prevent illegal immigration, drug and human trafficking and acts of terrorism.”
White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders highlighted the President’s commitment to the border wall earlier this month.
“I don’t think the president has been shy about the fact that he wants a wall,” Sanders said. “It’s certainly something he feels is an important part of a responsible immigration package.”